The Army Corps of Engineers, Baltimore District, is asking for comments from the construction community about the potential use of a Project Labor Agreement (PLA) on the sideways expansion of Poplar Island in the Talbot County, Maryland area. For more information about the project, please visit here.
Associated Builders and Contractors of Baltimore opposes the implementation of a PLA on this major project. The industry in this area is overwhelmingly merit shop. ABC Baltimore urges you to complete the below survey to express opposition of the implementation of a PLA on this project. Tell USACE that government-mandated PLAs reduce competition, increase costs, and impede the economy and efficiency of government contracting.
Responses are to be sent via email to Laura.A.Wade@usace.army.mil no later than 11:00 AM (EST) on March 8, 2017. Responses are limited to seven (7) pages.
- Do you have knowledge that a PLA has been used in the local area on projects of this kind? If so, please provide supporting documentation?
- Are you aware of skilled labor shortages in the area for those crafts that will be needed to complete the referenced project? If so, please elaborate and provide supporting documentation where possible.
- Are you award of time sensitive issues/scheduling requirements that would affect the rate of which the referenced project should be completed? If so, please elaborate and provide supporting documentation where possible.
- Identify specific reasons why or how you believe a PLA would advance the Federal Governments interest in achieving economy and efficiency in federal procurement.
- Identify specific reasons why you do not believe a PLA would advance the Federal Governments interest in achieving economy and efficiency in federal procurement.
- Identify any additional information you believe should be considered on the use of a PLA on the referenced project.
- Identify any additional information you believe should be considered on the non-use of a PLA on the referenced project.
- The information gathered during this market research should include the following information on projects you have completed in the last 2-5 years:
- Project Name and Location
b. Detailed Project Description
c. Initial Cost Estimate vs. Actual Final Cost
d. Was the project completed on Time?
e. Number of craft trades present on the project
f. Was the PLA used?
g. Were there any challenges experienced during the project?